Dress: Abyss by Abby in "Helina"
Shoes: Giuseppe Zanotti
Lips: LimeCrime velveteen in SuedeBerry
Lashes: HudaBeauty lashes in Samantha
Eyes: Lorac - Front of the Line liquid liner
Eyebrows: AnastasiaBeverlyHills pomade Chocolate
Face: Makeup Forever Mat Velvet #45
Contour: Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Palette
Cheeks: Japonesque Shade #2
Highligher: Laura Mercier Candlelight
This weekend was a bit hectic for me...tell you something new, right? Besides having 12 hour days Friday and Saturday, I had a seminar to prepare and teach on Sunday! Due to this hectic schedule on the weekends, I usually like to go out on weekdays. However, every now and then, we (make-up artists) want to feel normal, so we make an effort to go out on weekends. Friday night was the NYX Cosmetics Face Awards and my good friend Tamana (Dress Your Face) invited me and Hrush to go with her. By the time we got to the event, they didn't let us in anymore! Such a fail. But anyway, its always fun to play dress up! Here are my outfit & MU details:
I also wanted to take a quick moment to touch on Amrezy’s inspiring social media success. Many of you have asked me about tips on how to stand out and succeed on social media, so I thought I’d tackle the topic here. I for one, owe a lot to my wonderful followers on Instagram. Many of my students have discovered me through this awesome platform and have traveled far distances to take my course. Everyday I am incredibly grateful for the constant support and feedback from all of you… thank you! Although social media can be fun and exciting, establishing your brand and connecting with your following can be tricky. For those of you that are looking to expand your following and clientele through social media, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
1. Consistency is key. Giving your followers consistency is absolutely essential to social media success. A few posts in one week followed by weeks of inactivity is not going to do the trick. Just like answering emails and communicating with clients is important to your business, maintaining your social media (especially in the beauty world) is also vital to your success.
2. Not all content is good content. Although you want to be consistent with your posts, be selective about what you’re sharing...quality matters!
3. The quality of your photos is crucial. Dimly lit and blurry photos with a cluttered background are not going to represent you well. Take a few moments to edit the lighting and colors of your photos to really make them pop. Photos posted on your social media platforms are often the first impression many potential clients and followers get, so make it count!
4. Pay attention to which photos get the most buzz. Go through your feed and take note of which posts are doing well. This will help you get a better grasp on what your followers want to see more of.
5. Give your followers a genuine and authentic representation of yourself. Although it might be easy and tempting to create a social media alter ego, always keep in mind that followers can (hopefully) become clients that are eventually going to meet you and see you as you are.
6. Aim for inspiration, not replication. Everyone looks to other professionals for tips and inspiration. This is something I hope you’ll do when starting your business. However, trying to duplicate another artist’s style can hinder your success. Take notes from those that inspire you, but find your own niche. Your personal style will always be more authentic, which will allow your followers to connect with you.
7. Don’t expect any of it to come easy. Marketing yourself and your business takes a lot of hard work. Contrary to what it may seem, making an impact on social media and succeeding as a professional takes a lot of behind the scenes blood, sweat, and tears. Work hard, keep at it, and you’ll reap the benefits.
8. Try to tune out the negativity, but learn to take constructive criticism. Although negative feedback sometimes isn’t very constructive, many times colleagues, friends, and followers may give you suggestions that can be hard to hear but can help you grow and improve.
9. Educate yourself about social media marketing. Whether this means hitting the bookstore or looking up articles online, learn all you can about the ins and outs of social media marketing.
10. Good luck and don’t give up!
It’s been a while, and I’ve missed you all just as much as I’ve missed blogging. Those of you that follow my social media journey may already know that a few weeks ago I headed abroad to the absolutely breathtaking Greek Islands for some much needed rest and relaxation. Things are always (thankfully) crazy around here at Lilit’s Makeup Studio, so a vacation was definitely necessary! Although most of my trip was spent makeup-free, I have a list of product essentials that I kept within an arm’s reach at all times while I was away in paradise. Summer is quickly coming to an end, but it’s not over yet! Try to plan whatever getaway you can, whether it’s a nearby beach or an overseas adventure. You deserve it! No matter what your itinerary holds, make sure to go fully equipped and ready with these summer vacation must-haves.
Lorac TANtalizer to the rescue – I can’t emphasize enough how amazing Lorac’s TANtalizer Body Bronzing Luminizer is. I seriously don’t leave home without this product, and I especially loved it while vacationing. If you’re conscious about protecting your skin, soaking up the sun and getting a natural glow is probably interrupted by a whole lot of SPF. To get that beach bronze look without those harmful rays, Lorac TANtalizer will become your new best friend.
Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray for the win. This product is the holy grail of hair products. Stop whatever you’re doing, and get your hands on this stuff (after you finish reading this blog post, of course). This paraben-free texturizing spray gave my beach waves the lift and texture they needed to go from flat to fabulous with just a little spritz. The best part is that it protects your locks with UV protection from those harmful sunrays. Although this product contains too many goodies to list, some highlights include ginger root extract, hydrolyzed wheat protein, and mango extract. Did I mention it smells amazing?
Shop LeRUSH was a Showstopper- I couldn’t head to the beach without my Shop LeRUSH swimsuit covers. These eye-catching covers were definitely a hit amongst European locals and tourists. Some of the designs that came out to play were the Adia and the Amari. The European lace that mimics metal featured on the Amari created a fierce beach look, while the real turquoise neckline of the Adia embraced the tropical ambience and picturesque views Greece had to offer. Add Shop LeRUSH swimsuit covers to your beach bag, and get ready to turn heads as you lounge on the shore.
Don’t leave home without Lorac’s PRO Matte Lip Color- You won’t catch me without these lip colors. Not only does it come in twelve gorgeous shades, but this stuff lasts forever! The PRO Matte Lip Color doesn’t stain or dry your lips like most matte colors can do. They have a smooth creamy texture that is just perfect. Some of my favorite shades are mauve, peach and rose taupe. Give it a go. Your lips will thank you.
Waterproof mascara at its best. The Aqua Smoky Lash Waterproof Extra Black Mascara by Make Up For Ever really took care of me while I was unwinding on the beach. Not only did this mascara stay put amongst several dips, it delivered volume, length, and intense pigment as promised! This one is Lilit approved and comes highly recommended for beautiful days on the beach.
Stock up on that SPF. You can wear all the makeup in the world, but I always say that the most important factor when it comes to beauty is your skin. Taking care of your skin means a naturally glowing complexion that cannot be replaced by any product. Sunscreen is the first step towards protecting your skin against harmful sunrays that can lead to lines, wrinkles, and uneven texture. My favorite sunscreen right now is the Super Fluid UV Defense SPF 50+ formula by Kiehl’s. I love this formula because of how light and comfortable it is. Oil-free and fragrance-free, this SPF is my go-to solution.
Hope summer days continue to treat you well. Do you swear by any products that belong on this list? Leave a comment and let me know. Happy relaxing!
Hello ladies! So here is a little 15 second how-to on my contouring when I go out to an important event. I have used the Anastasia concealers in 1.5 to highlight and 4.5 to contour using my foundation brush and duo-fiber brush both by Elaina Badro and blended it out using my Beauty Blender. Now, depending on how strong or light you want your contour, you need to blend less/more. I then used my Anastasia Contour Palette in "banana" to set in all the areas I have highlighted my face. For the rest of my face, I've used the Ben Nye "banana" powder with my damp sponge to set in my skin without giving too much color. If you want your contour to stand out more, then I suggest you going back at it with a powder contour (the contour colors in the palette will do or a matte bronzer) to emphasize your structure. I then took the "sand" shimmer powder, again from the Anastasia contour kit to highlight just the tops of my cheekbones. Take the color of blush you desire & add it to the apples of your cheeks blending up towards your hairline. Here, I have used one of my favorite blushes from Lorac called "Coral Crush" (super pigmented!). I know this 15-second video is way too short to capture everything, but watch it enough and you'll catch the concept ;) HOWEVER, I will be doing a YouTube tutorial next week and you will be able to see the entire process in slow motion. Hope this helps in the meantime!
Have a lot of eyeshadows and running out of space in your organizer? Here is a quick video my sister Marina made on de-potting MAC eyeshadows. Marina has SO much makeup, her bathroom is overflowing. She used to work at Naimie's Beauty Center...so you can only imagine! She has started her "Spring Cleaning" on her makeup and her makeup kit literally looks like half of what it was, all organized and tidy! First you will need a flat iron, a sharp tool and wax paper. Pop out the plastic the shadow sits on. Then place the plastic in the flat iron (on top of a wax paper). Give it about 20 seconds and pop it out from the back (there should be a small hole to push through). If it's still tough, put it on the iron for another 15-20 seconds until the glue is soft enough to loosen up and try pushing it through again. You can then place them in your MAC empty palettes or a Z palette (sold at Naimie's). You can also use this same process by using a little over, but I find this to be much easier. Happy de-potting!
I had never heard of Lupita until the Oscars. She won Best Supporting Actress based on her feature movie, "12 Years a Slave". Besides the fact that she looked STUNNISHING in that baby blue Prada dress styled by Micaela Erlanger, she was glowing from within. After hearing her speech, I was in love with her. I started to google her to learn more. SMH Entertainment wrote about Lupita, “To do anything in film, you need to be trained, but you also need the fire in your belly, a passion that cannot be ignored. Lupita had focus, drive, passion and above everything else, talent.”
(Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/lupita-nyongo-won-more-than-just-an-oscar-she-won-hearts-20140305-346mr.html#ixzz2v4DOqOfM ) This quote can be relatable to so many of us be it makeup artists, athletes, lawyers, etc. Without the passion and drive, it is only a skill anyone can learn...but will it last? In another speech for Beauty Essence Magazine, I was truly touched by her story. We can all relate in some sense or another, be it race, age, gender, culture, sexual orientation and etc. Lupita winning this Oscar not only set an example for so many people, but motivated and inspired us in return.
Many of you have been asking me to post my favorite products of 2013, so here it is (a bit late, as usual)! There was many wonderful products I came across; but I will list the products that I could not do without last year! Here they are, not in any particular order:
1. Stila "In the Know" Eyeshadow Palette - This palette is the Holy Grail of natural matte palettes. The texture is amazingly smooth, packs on well and the color selection is amaze! You have the pink nudes, beige nudes, greys and browns. I don't know what else to say about this except that its, simply perfect. Worth every $.
2. The Beauty Blender - As you all know, I have been obsessed with this sponge for a while now. There are many similar sponges from different brands which are also great, but again, The Beauty Blender? Holy Grail. (Make sure to dampen the sponge and get it as puffy as you can, then soak it out before you use it!) If you use this product dry or just "wet", you will not get the intended results and you will hate it. If used correctly, your foundation will look airbrushed and will blend contours and highlights perfectly.
3. Anastasia Contour Kit - Obviously on my Top 10! This contour palette was one hot cookie and its no wonder. It has a perfect shade collection all in one kit. The yellow tone can be used as your "banana" powder, you have a pink shade highlighter and a shimmer highlighter. You also have various shades of contour colors/bronzing for any skin type. It is also great to use summer/winter when your skin tone changes. In addition, I am super excited and proud to see my girl Tamana (@DressYourFace)representing Anastasia! You go girl.
4. Vera Mona "Color Switch" - I call this magic. I use so many disposable towels when working with clients to take off the color from my brush to dip into a different color (otherwise I use 80 brushes). This sponge takes off all the color in 3-4 swipes and you will be ready to dip the same brush into any color without the last color transferring off. Pretty genius if you ask me!
5. Anastasia Brow Wiz - I absolutely love this automatic brow pencil. The precision I get with it is like no other. The consistency is just right. Dry enough to avoid crayon like finish and soft enough for a smooth transition. In addition, she has a color to match every hair color/skin tone perfectly. She just came out with Auburn and Granite, so make sure you get the color that's right for you.
6. Elaina Badro "Bent Eyeliner" Brush - This brush is amazing! I have always used straight pointed brushes and just looking at this brush scared me. But I finally decided to give it a try one day and I absolutely love it! It basically lines your eyeliner for you. This is especially perfect if you are using it on yourself because that curve helps avoid your lashes getting in the way. The rest of her line is amazing too, check her out at www.ElainaBadro.com
7. Sigma Precision Brush Set - When working on clients (or myself), I always start with the eyes and then finish the face. This brush set is perfect because it allows me to clean off the smudge and unevenness underneath the eyes without making a mess. The brushes are made of Sigmax fibers which allow you to use them when creams liquids or powders and this brush set in particular mimics your fingertips so you can get to hard to reach places like the sides of your nose next to your tear ducts. Thumbs up from me!
8. MAC ProLongwear Concealer - I have tried SO many concealers in my years, but the concealer of the decade goes to MAC. Seriously, coverage (check), consistency (check), lasting effect (check), color selection (check), most importantly, it does NOT crease! You can control how heavy you want to use it but layering, as with any product, is the key!
9. Belletto Airbrush - I have been using this on my brides and the finish does not compare to anything else. It is water based and water resistant and any skin type can use it. The coverage is amazing; but it still looks like skin! It is perfect if you want your makeup to last the ENTIRE day (and night). *You can use coupon code "lovelilit" for a great discount*
10. MAC Extra Dimension Skinfinish - I absolutely love the skinfinish highlighting powders! I haven't found anything similar from any other brand that delivers as well as these do. Unfortunately, most are seasonal, so as soon as it comes out, make sure you get your hands on them! They add a high shine without much glitter and it actually makes it look like your skin is glowing without it looking like too much product. I can keep repeating, LOVE!
If you follow me on Instagram, you'll see that I post many how-to vids. Although its only 15 seconds, I hope this is effective learning for you! I plan to do more YouTube videos but...that's just so much work lol. Hopefully soon enough I can create some time to do those for you. For now, instagram is quick and easy! For those of you asking about the video apps and music, I used Splice to make my tutorials. In this video, I have created the reverse cut-crease technique using the Elaina Badro bent eyeliner brush. This brush changed my life! Not really lol but it does make my liners so much easier and clean! I have been using her brushes for 2 months now and absolutely love it! Wanted to share that she will be having her special on her brushes for a few more days! Originally $113.00, you can get the essential brush set for $85, so take advantage of it! Hope you guys liked this look, it was definitely one of my favs. <3
The most common request I get from clients! Contouring is not as complicated as it may sound. We hear "contour" we think of painting the face black and white. That is not necessarily the case. Although we can contour in black and white (literally) for photoshoots or even events, you do not have to contour so extremely on a regular basis. There is many levels of highlight and contour which depends on how light or how dark you shade compared to your skin tone. Rule of thumb is to go two shades light and two shades dark (be it liquid, cream or powder); but you can also change it up just one level for light contouring or 3-4 shades for extreme. In Scott Barnes words, "Light adds to, Dark takes away from". You highlight areas you want/need to stand out and darken/contour areas you want to take away attention from. In this video in particular, I have used the Chanel Creme Bronzer in Soleil Tan using the Sigma Precision Angled Brush (P84) from the Synthetic Precision Kit which helps with blending cream colors perfectly! Here, I am showing you how to straighten/thin-out the nose using the light contouring technique. The lighting isn't too great as I am working on the client and trying to video at the same time lol, but hope it does justice! Always layer your products to protect yourself from going overboard off the bat! Hope this helps. I will try and post more videos like this to hopefully help you out. I feel like CONTOUR is IT right now but so many people are doing it incorrectly which takes away from the whole concept. If you would like to learn more about this and more, you are more than welcome to join my one day seminar or my 3 week course (to learn professionally). For more info on the classes, please log onto www.LilitsMakeupStudio.com or email us at LilitsMakeupStudio@gmail.com for registration.
(You can purchase the Sigma blending brush here )
Please comment and let me know what you would like me to share on my blog :)
Speaking of IMATS (since my last post)... I haven't had time to share my weekend with you all. IMATS 2014 was crazy! There was so many people there was no room to move. This year, the tickets were sold out almost 3 weeks before the weekend. But I have to say, it was a really great show. Every year, these vendors totally outdo themselves. It's becoming more and more creative as the years go on. The displays! So pretty. But most importantly, lets talk about the goodies! Dose of Colors (created by MakeUpbyAnna) had her booth POPPIN' this year! If you haven't seen her products yet, you gotta check out her amazing lip collection at www.DoseOfColors.com. Right next to her was Anastasia of Beverly Hills and at no surprise, she had a super long line the entire weekend! Besides her amazing contour palette that was being sold at her booth, they were doing free eyebrows! They are the queens of eyebrows and totally worth the wait, if you ask me! Another booth that always excites me was SugarPill; their setup and their employees are always at its creative peak! Sugarpill eyeshadows are super pigmented and super bright (and they actually pack on and blend very nicely unlike other "bright" disappointing colors). NYX cosmetics was huge this year! They had so many colors and so many products, you needed to dedicate at least an hour to them lol. Love their products and they are super afforable and great quality! Usually...quality and affordability do not go hand in hand. I was so excited to see Velour lashes right next to my booth! I have been using their mink lashes for almost 2 years now and nothing compares! (and I love the girls, they're the sweetest!) My booth in particular was made to imitate my actual studio in Sherman Oaks, all thanks to my talented dad! He custom makes metal durable vanities for anyone interested, you can email me. I put a nice white flooring set up by CMC events and a back drop by AAA Prints to imitate the "red carpet" effect. In addition, Cotton Candy Cart donated 250 jars of cotton candy with my logo on it. It was so adorable! It surely was stressful, overwhelming and hectic but all worth it! My leg swell up the first day (don't know why); but I had to be on me feet for another 2 days with one super fat leg :( But what can you do...the show must go on! hehe. Besides the vendors, I was super excited to meet all my fans that came by my booth! If you came by to say hello or to watch my demos, thank you! I really hope you ladies enjoyed it! I also got to see my fellow amazing makeup artists which is always a pleasure. We all support each other and help each other in the industry and I can't express enough how happy this makes me. I have attached some photos from the weekend for your enjoyment!